The Dominica Labour Party (DLP) on Friday, November 18, nominated a full slate of twenty-one candidates to contest the December 6 general elections.
Prime Minister of Dominica and DLP Leader, Roosevelt Skerrit was nominated in his hometown, Vieille Case, to contest his 6th election.
“I am very grateful to the voters of the Vieille Case Constituency who reposed their confidence in me in 2000 at age 27 and they are all still standing strong with me today. So I am a very fortunate and blessed candidate. Every success I have had in politics is due to the people of the Vieille Case Constituency,” Prime Minister Skerrit told the media shortly after his nomination at the Vieille Case Magistrates Court.
The Prime Minister announced on November 6 that Dominicans would return to the polls to elect a new Government to lead the country in increasingly difficult times.
“As I indicated, this is a national reset. We are seeking to bring new energy so that we can face the challenges ahead,” the Dominican leader said, pointing to the impact of COVID-19 on world economies, the ongoing Russia-Ukraine War and the effects of climate change on vulnerable states.
“At this time we need strong decisive leadership and this is what I have provided the
country with for the last eighteen years and this is what I will continue to give to this
country after the elections are held.”
The other candidates nominated on Friday are:
- Octavia Alfred – Castle Bruce
- Daren Pinard – Colihaut
- Roland Royer – Cottage
- Dr. Vince Henderson – Grand Bay
- Dr. Cassandra Williams – Laplaine
- Cassanni Laville – Mahaut
- Gregory Riviere – Marigot
- Gretta Roberts – Morne Jaune/Riviere Cyrique
- Lakeyia Joseph – Paix Bouche
- Jullan Defoe – Petite Savanne
- Fenella Wenham – Portsmouth
- Melissa Poponne – Skerrit Roseau Central
- Miriam Blanchard – Roseau North
- Chekira Lockhart-Hypolite – Roseau South
- Dr. Irving McIntyre – Roseau Valley
- Lynsia Frank – Salisbury
- Cozier Frederick – Salybia
- Darron Lloyd – St. Joseph
- Denise Charles – Soufriere
- Fidel Grant – Wesley